Tuesday, May 30, 2023

LGBTQ groups react to Erdoğan's victory speech

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been re-elected president of Türkiye. With almost 100% of the votes counted, preliminary official results showed Erdoğan winning with 52.14% of the votes, and the other candidate Kilicdaroglu received 47.86%.

Following his re-election, Erdoğan once again accused the opposition parties of being “pro-LGBT” and labeled the LGBTQ community “perverted movements.”

LGBTQ organizations have expressed their concerns over Erdoğan's homophobic slurs following his election victory, and over next years under his presidency.

"The 13th President, in his speech in İstanbul, once again targeted us. We are not accustomed to it, we don't accept it, but we haven't forgotten that our struggle is bigger than these words," read their statement.

"As lesbians, gays, bisexuals, trans, and intersex individuals, we will overcome these dark days with the struggle that began the moment we were born," the statement affirms.

You can read the statement here.

LGBTQ people in Türkiye are not protected from discrimination in employment, education, housing, health care, public accommodations, or credit. Erdoğan and his cabinet have become increasingly more hostile towards the rights of LGBTQ community and women.

All we stand with LGBTQ community in Türkiye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment